HOLY SHIT I'm still doing this


Saw that Harry Callahan review I posted earlier today? Well, that was my 1000th review. Impressive, I know. Who would have ever thought I’d get this far? I sure didn’t. I wasn’t even sure I’d achieve my initial goal of reviewing a film every day for a year. But I did it.

And it’s time to PAAAAAAARTY! Celebrate. I meant celebrate (partying isn’t really my thing), as suggested by Shubham Ahuja on Twitter. The suggestion was to do a ‘Best of’ kind of post. But frankly, I don’t think I’m going to do that. Frankly

Fun fact: I look exactly like this dog right now. But I’m human. Just in case you’re wondering.
Actually, I think it’s going to be that kind of post. No, I am positive it’s going to be that kind of post because all I can think of now are great things. Like great quotes, great characters, and, I don’t know, great soundtracks. And great movies.

And I’m going to mention Deadpool because he’s kind of staring at me and I’m afraid he will kick my ass if I don’t do so. And to be honest his movie was great so I should be mentioning him, right? Also, isn’t his 4th of July photo adorable?


Okay. Let’s go to the point of this post. Great movie-related stuff. And I think I’m going to focus on those movies I would have never seen if it wasn’t for the blog.

Like 12 Angry Men, one of the best movies I’ve ever seen and arguably one of the best movies ever made. This film should define to word masterpiece. Shot in a single location, it follows eleven jurors held hostages by the twelfth juror. It’s not a real hostage situation, but Juror #8, wonderfully played by Henry Fonda, is the only one who thinks the defendant is not guilty and tries to convince the others. 




This film is entirely built on the dialogue; a brilliant and clever dialogue that, along with Sidney Lumet’s flawless camera movements, builds terrific tension and suspense. It’s the living proof – okay, maybe not living, but you get the point – that you don’t need special effects, explosions, elaborate sceneries and costumes to make a jaw-dropping film.

Since I said hostage situation, it’s only fair to mention another spectacular film by Sidney Lumet, Dog Day Afternoon. This time the hostage situation is real as a simple, ten-minute bank robbery turns into one when Sonny, one of the robbers, finds that there is not much to steal. However, this film is so much more than a bank robbery film as proven by the themes touched – homosexuality and media doing everything to get a story, just to mention a few – and by the fantastic characterization and fascinating characters. Another fascinating aspect of this film is the two different tones Lumet gives the film. The scenes taking place inside the bank are very calm, those taking place outside are incredibly frenetic. It’s the opposite of how it should be in such a situation. That’s the reason it works so well.

I feel like I’m on the great-directors waggon so I’m going to spend the next few minutes to talk about another great director I’ve discovered thanks to the blog, Woody Allen.



Okay, I knew him already, but I only saw a few of his movies. Now I have seen everything he has directed – even that Amazon series, Crisis in Six Scenes. It’s awesome, by the way – and he’s earned a spot in my favourite directors shelf. This man can do anything, from romantic comedies – the pretty much flawless Annie Hall – to thrillers – the insightful Match Point - to detective films – the delightful and hilarious Scoop. And silly movies, of course. He is very good at those. And you know what he’s also good at? Working with great cinematographers. I mean, look at these shots


And how about his 100% relatable quotes?



Which makes me think of someone who can't internalize anger, Wolverine. Or should I say Logan? Because that’s what I’m going to talk about now. One of the greatest comic book movies ever made. I wasn’t even sure if spending money on it because final instalments of trilogies are usually disappointing, but Logan wasn’t. To be honest it’s better than the two previous movies put together. And the reason is very simple. Instead of focusing on the action like most superhero movies do – especially Marvel’s -, Logan is about Logan. 


It’s a deep and intimate character study that shows the Wolverine as we have never seen him before. He is old, sick and a drunk, and he's shown in all of his vulnerability. Hugh Jackman gives the ultimate performance, which only contributes in making this film even more powerful and emotional.

And now I’m feeling like this – and I bet you are too if you saw Logan


So let’s move onto something more cheerful, like the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack. One specific track, Stealers Wheel's Stuck in the Middle With You. That song always puts a huge smile on my face because it reminds me of the torture scene. And for some weird reason, it always makes me happy. As a matter of fact, I’m not depressed anymore because of Logan but I’m singing and dancing as I’m picturing Mr. Blonde torturing that cop. Just in case you missed the film, here you go, have some fun



And now I'm stuck. Seriously, I have no idea how to move on from this. I feel like I spending a lot of time talking about memorable music related scenes in Tarantino movies. Like the famous John Travolta dance scene in Pulp Fiction. Or the lap dance in Death Proof. I'm straight but that scene, well, I'm just saying it could make me gay. And the song is pretty amazing too.


Which makes me realise his latest film, The Hateful Eight, doesn't have any fantastic music moment. The Jim Jones at Botany Bay scene is pretty good, but not that good. The film is pretty good though. And I'm not a fan of western.

And that only makes me appreciate even more Sergio Leone's masterpiece, Once Upon a Time in the West. I rewatched it recently so I could review it, and it is so good it blows my mind every single time. It has the typical western storyline revolving around the construction of railroads, but it's compelling, intriguing and suspenseful. It also features some pretty awesome and memorable characters, especially Claudia Cardinale's Jull McBain, Ennio Morricone's best work, but most of all, it has one of the best openings in the history of cinema. Have a look, if you don't believe me


And to close this post, I can only share one of the greatest endings in the history of cinema. It contains spoilers



I forgot the most important part, you guys. I want to thank all of you for wasting your precious time to read and comment my reviews. I'm a hundred percent sure I would have never done this without an audience. So, in no particular order, thank you Birgit, Dell, Margaret, Brittani, KevinAllie, KatyMarco and Fede.

I'm pretty sure I've forgotten to mention someone. If you are one of those people, feel free to insult me. I won't get mad, I promise. 

And thank you for wasting more time to read this. 

13 comments :

  1. Congratulations and thank you for the thank you! and those Logan paragraphs and that picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahah, grandissima! Vivi complimenti per questo traguardo importante: ad altre (1000)^1000 recensioni :D

    Fede.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You've shown tremendous dedication to make it to 1,000 reviews in 1,000 days. That's a phenomenal achievement. My blog has been around twice as long as yours and I don't think I've quite gotten to that many reviews. Great job by you. And it's been my pleasure to read your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a lot of work. I still can't believe I did this. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. First of all, amazing accomplishment! Second, I am jealous you've seen every Woody Allen movie, a goal of mine not yet reached. And finally, thank you so much for what you do. I love getting on Blogger and finding out what Sonia watched today. Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it kinda feels awesome to know someone is jealous of me. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! It's amazing to hit 1000 in 1000 I wish I had your blogger stamina lol

    Here's to many many many more days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! 1,000 posts is an AMAZING achievement! I loved reading about the movies you now love that you'd have never discovered if it weren't for blogging, that's my #1 favourite part about being a blogger too!
    I hope you stick around for another 1,000 posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on hitting 1000 reviews! That's so freaking impressive and amazing. I love reading about all of the movies you love and don't love. Your blog is so much fun to visit. So many good movies are pointed out in this post from 12 Angry Men to Reservoir Dogs, it's hard to pick just a few. Logan is one of the best movies of the year. Cheers to many more movies and posts!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoy the blog :)

      Delete